Christ Church Cathedral is the Mother Church of all the Anglican churches built in the Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands. It is the fourth such building to stand near this site. In 1670 King Charles II granted the colony to the Lord Proprietors of Carolina, instructing them to ‘build churches and chapels in furtherance of the Christian religion.’  It was originally built that year as the Parish Church of Christ Church on what is now West Hill Street. In 1684 it was destroyed by the Spaniards. A second building was completed on Frederick Street in 1695 and again destroyed by the Spaniards, in 1703. The third building was constructed on the present site in 1724.
The foundation stone of this cathedral church was laid by the Governor, Sir Francis Cockburn in 1837. It was consecrated by Bishop Spenser in 1845. The stained glass windows were installed in 1868 and replaced in 1945 after being damaged.
In 1861 the Diocese of Nassau was created and Christ Church designated ‘The Cathedral Church of the Bahamas” thus making the town “the City of Nassau.’ It remains a historic landmark. Restoration work was completed in 1995.

Contribute an Image