The Fētu’ao Lima Church is the most prominent building on Funafuti Atoll. It is the state church of Tuvalu, a congressional Christian church, there being freedom of religion on the island. Christianity came to Tuvalu in 1861 when Elekana, a deacon from the Cook Islands was washed up after drifting for eight weeks. He began to spread the word about Christianity here and elsewhere in the Pacific islands. In 1865, the Rev. A. W. Murray arrived the first European missionary and continued the work. There were pastors from 1865 and next to it is a memorial to them. The church operates a day school nearby, the Fetuvalu Secondary School. Also nearby is a large community centre, used for social events such as wedding receptions.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one