The Gun Emplacement on Smith’s Point Road is a complex containing accommodation and support buildings including a goal and still contains a six-inch naval gun. The gun emplacement was built before World War II and a detachment of troops were stationed there. In March 1942 the detachment mutinied on the eve of the Japanese occupation of the island and several officers were killed. The occupying Japanese took control of the site for the duration of the war. Since 2020, the house has served as a museum documenting the history of Christmas Island.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one