The Fort George Military Cemetery at 42 York Way is sited within the former Fort George Garrison area, much of which was later developed for private housing. The cemetery contains the graves of many British soldiers and sailors from the 19th and 20th centuries. It is managed by the States of Guernsey Treasury and Resources Department and the Commission are responsible for 23 graves from the First World War and 113 from the Second World War, including some 111 German graves.
A cross of sacrifice and a memorial plaque was erected here after the First World War to honour all the forces buried here and on Alderney and Sark. The cross and plaque also commemorate those who died in the Second World War with the inscription: ‘Their glory shall not be blotted out’. The plaque states: ‘The Cross of Sacrifice is erected to the honoured memory of those members of His Majesty’s Forces who gave their lives during the wars of 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 and are buried in the islands of Guernsey, Alderney and Sark’.
Fort George was built as the island garrison for the British Army around the beginning of the 19th century. The fort was decommissioned after the Second World War and the land was transferred to the States of Guernsey in 1958.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one