The Nassau Public Library in Shirley Street moved into the old prison in 1879, at which time the surrounding grounds were landscaped. The building was originally constructed as a gaol between 1798 and 1799, surrounded by a wall, which was also removed in 1879, when Prison Alley was widened and a new road built called Peck’s Slope (after Captain Peck, the Surveyor-General) connecting East Hill Street with Prince’s Street and Market Street.
There used to be prisoners’ cells on the first and second floors, with a gallery surrounding a central area on the third floor, from which a bell hung to summon members of the House of Assembly to meetings. Today the former cells are loaded with books, charts, artifacts and etchings and comprise a valuable collection of books on Bahamiana.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
Images
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one

Contribute an Image