The Pompey Museum in Bay Street was formerly Vendue House
Sometime during the 18th century, a one-storey building, furnished with just one roof and rounded pillars was erected for the convenience of traders selling their goods at public auctions. Â Situated on Bay Street, opposite George Street, Vendue House could have been erected before 1769 as a building on this site appears on a plan of Nassau for that date.
Pompey himself was a slave at Steventon, Exuma; one of the five estates owned by Lord Rolle in Exuma. Â In 1830 he led a group of slaves who defied plans to move them from Exuma.
Vendue House was the scene of many sales and auctions, involving slaves, cattle and imported goods. It was converted to be  the head of the Port Office in about 1890.
In 1913 a second storey was added to accommodate the Telegraph and Telephone Departments. Then the Accounts Section of the Bahamas Electricity Corporation occupied the building.  It now houses the Pompey Museum, where a items depicting The Bahamas’ history can be viewed.
On 4 September 2001 the museum was partially damaged in the fire which destroyed the Straw Market and Ministry of Tourism.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
Images
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one

Contribute an Image