Saint Paul’s Anglican Pro-Cathedral, with its tall spire, was built on the instructions of Queen Adelaide, widow of William IV, who spent the winter of 1838-39 in Valletta for her health, shortly after the King’s death. Previously, Anglicans worshipped in a room in the Grandmaster’s Palace and so she appealed to her niece, Queen Victoria, for funds to create a place of worship for Anglicans. Without waiting for a reply, she paid for it herself, laying the foundation stone on 20th March 1839.The site was formally the Auberge d’Allemagne, home of the German Knights Hospitaller. The Cathedral was dedicated to Saint Paul the Apostle, who was shipwrecked in Malta in 59/60 AD. The final design was given to William Scamp, who had worked with Sir James Wyatville on restoration works at Windsor Castle.The Cathedral’s altar is at the West End of the structure. It survived serious bombing during the Second World War, a blessing considering its spire acted as a useful landmark for enemy bombers. It contains memorials dedicated to the Navy, Army, Air Force, the Merchant Navy Submariners, as well as to past Governors of Malta.The Duke of Edinburgh is Patron of the Friends.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one