Peascod Street is one of Windsor’s oldest streets and now pedestrianised during office hours. It was first mentioned as early as 1177 as the road between the Market Place (where Queen Victoria’s statue stands) and Clewer Lane. Considerable variations in the name of the street occur in the surviving 13th-century leases, such as ‘Puscroftstrate’ and ‘Pescroftstrate’. The unusual name of Peascod (pronounced pes-cot) originates from the field where peas were grown, a staple diet in medieval times.
By 1607 Peascod Street was a largely residential area, remaining so into the 18th century. In the next century it changed into a commercial centre and today it is known for its many shops. In the early 1960s the Rolling Stones played in a pub called The Star and Garter (since closed down). It stood at 133 Peascod Street. In earlier days it had a gym and was a venue for boxing matches. Sugar Ray Robinson trained there before his fight with Randolph Turpin in London in 1951.
Images
Medal Sponsor
A medal was purchased for this point by: GSK

Contribute an Image