The Queen’s Walkway is a 6.3km (approximately 4 miles) self guided walking trail connecting 63 of Windsor’s most significant attractions. It was designed by The Commonwealth Walkway Trust, in partnership with local people, to recognise the moment on 9 September 2015 when Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had reigned for 63 years and more than 7 months to become Britain’s longest reigning monarch.
The Queen’s Walkway will help you explore this historic town with its theatre, its churches, its parks and gardens, its elegant residential streets, its many historic monuments, its railway stations, and the River Thames.
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh enjoyed a long association with Windsor.
The Queen and her sister, Princess Margaret, spent most of the Second World War in Windsor Castle.
After King George VI died in February 1952, the Queen and the Duke opened some rooms in the Castle, and it became their weekend retreat from London. They were there for the Easter Court, for the Garter Ceremony and Royal Ascot in June, and since 1969 there have been occasional State Visits to Windsor, with the procession passing along the High Street.
In March 2020 The Queen and Duke made Windsor Castle their permanent home, due to the pandemic. The Duke died there on 9 April 2021. The Queen stayed on until July 2022 when she left for Scotland.
Since 1917 Windsor has also been the name of the Royal House.
In ancient times the Anglo-Saxon Kings held court in a palace at Old Windsor, but William the Conqueror saw the advantage of building a tower on high land above the Thames to help guard London. His son, Henry I, built a residence within the Castle walls and first held court there in 1110.
Most sovereigns have lived in the Castle since then, and many Kings and Queens of England are buried in St George’s Chapel, including The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.
The Queen’s Walkway celebrates the town of Windsor. The original town was largely laid out by 1170. “New Windsor” had rights as a free borough and was made into a royal borough under a charter of Edward I in 1277.
William Shakespeare knew Windsor well and it inspired his play, The Merry Wives of Windsor.
The present Guildhall was built between 1687 and 1691, and since 1778 when George III moved to Windsor, the town has profited from its royal associations. Since the English Civil War Windsor has been a garrison town with a military presence that continues to this day.
Windsor Bridge formed a permanent link to Eton in 1822 and the arrival of the Great Western Railway in 1849 made Windsor more accessible to London.
This official guide introduces each of the 63 points of interest and provides a map to show how they are connected. It has been designed to be as accessible as possible and takes approximately 2 hours to complete. We hope that you enjoy The Queen’s Walkway.
If you would like to download/print the PDF, the link is HERE3.7 miles / 6 kilometres
My Passport
Collect this Stamp
Get walking to unlock this stamp. You can then add it to your passport.
Stamp Collected
View your passport to find all of the stamps and medals you have collected.
Points of Interest
-
Heritage & Monuments
1 - Castle, Henry VIII Gate
Henry VIII Gateway of Windsor Castle is the symbolic link between the Castle and the town and the main entrance to the Castle. Originally there ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
2 - Changing The Guard
Changing the Guard takes place between 10.45 and 11.30 every day in the summer, and every other day in the winter (but never on a ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
3 - Garden, Church Street
Heritage Garden is in Church Street, one of the narrow streets parallel to the High Street, and originally laid out in the 13th century. It ...
Read More
-
Museum & Galleries
4 - Hall, Church Lane
The Masonic Hall is a baroque building, originally thought to have been designed by Sir Christopher Wren, and bearing signs of his influence. It stands ...
Read More
-
Museum & Galleries
5 - The Guildhall
The Windsor Guildhall was designed by Thomas Fitch (1636-88), and built by John Clark. The foundation stone was laid in 1687 and the work completed ...
Read More
-
Places of Worship
6 - John the Baptist’s Church
Windsor Parish Church of St John the Baptist was built on the site of an earlier church dating back to the days of Henry I. ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
7 - Guards Statue
The Irish Guards Statue stands on the corner of Park Street, High Street and Sheet Street. It was unveiled on 24 June 2011 by The ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
8 - Royal Mews, Park Street
The Royal Mews, the entrance to which can be seen behind the statue, is not open to the public. Here there is a large riding ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
9 - Long Walk
The Long Walk is the great ceremonial route from the Castle into Windsor Great Park, stretching 2.65 miles to the Copper Horse, the equestrian memorial ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
10 - Windsor Great Park
There are two parks – the Home Park, which adjoins the Castle, and the Great Park. The latter consists of 14,000 acres of land, including ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
11 - Mausoleum, Brook Street Allotments
Frogmore & the Royal Mausoleum are concealed behind the trees in Home Park. The green copper roof of the Mausoleum is sometimes visible. The house ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
12 - Victoria Barracks
Victoria Barracks were built for the Foot Guards in 1795. During the 19th century many other infantry regiments were quartered there along with the Grenadier ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
13 - Kings Road
Kings Road is adjacent to the Long Walk. Here there are a number of fine terraces, which originally appeared on Sheet Street and had been ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
14 - Royal Adelaide Hotel
The Royal Adelaide Hotel is in the King’s Road, on the corner of Adelaide Square, near Adelaide Terrace. All are named after Queen Adelaide, wife ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
15 - Windsor Greys Horses
The Windsor Greys were placed on the roundabout leading to the Great Park, to commemorate the 60th anniversary of The Queen’s Coronation in 2013. They ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
16 - Golden Jubilee Fountain
The Golden Jubilee Fountain (1887), now removed, was a gift from Henri C.J. Henry, the first Director of the Royal Windsor Tapestry Manufactory between 1876 ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
17 - Anne Royal Free School
The Queen Anne Royal Free CE First School was opened in September 1988 for children between the ages of 5 and 9. It is a ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
18 - The Boat House
Eton Boat House, known as ‘Rafts’ is where the whiffs and elite boats were built and kept for many years. Rowing has been a feature ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
18 - Margaret Hospital, Osborne Road
The Princess Margaret Hospital is one of two hospitals in the town. It is privately owned by BMI Healthcare and has 78 beds. Built in ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
19 - School, Francis Road
The King’s House School, at 77a Frances Road, is an independent Christian school, under the wing of King’s Church International. Amongst other things, it offers ...
Read More
-
Places of Worship
20 - Saints Church, Francis Road
All Saints Church, Frances Road is a brick structure in the modern style, consisting of a chancel, a nave of six bays, a south aisle ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
21 - Prince Consort Cottages
Prince Consort Cottages, formerly called Model Cottages, were built in 1855 under the direction of Prince Albert who took great interest in farming techniques and ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
22 - The Crispin Pub Grove Road
The old Crispin Pub, now a private residence, on the corner at 56 Grove Road, was a popular venue with live singers on certain nights. ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
23 - The Firestation Centre for Arts & Culture
The Old Court Artspace. Prince Christian laid the foundation stone for the Old Court in 1905 on a site previously occupied by a row of ...
Read More
-
Places of Worship
24 - Holy Trinity and Garrison Church
Holy Trinity & Garrison Church is one of England’s finest garrison churches. It was founded by Queen Victoria with a gift of 200 guineas, due ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
25 - Clarence Crescent
Clarence Crescent was built in 1829 by James Bedborough, and named after the Duke of Clarence (later William IV). It has its own communal garden, ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
26 - Queen Anne’s Court – Peascod Street
Queen Anne’s Court standing on the corner of Oxford Road East and Peascod Street. Before this building was constructed, there were fine old 16th-century buildings ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
27 - Fuzzens’s Blue Plaque
Fred Fuzzens’ Blue Plaque commemorates Fred Fuzzens (1921-1995), a Windsor postman, who was passionate about local history and contributed many stories of Windsor past to ...
Read More
-
Places of Worship
28 - Christ Church, United Reformed Church
Christ Church, United Reformed Church was built in 1979. The origins of the church date back to the Act of Uniformity of 1662. The first ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
29 - Chariott’s Charity Home
Joseph Chariott’s Charity Home is named after Joseph Chariott, the Victorian philanthropist, who came to Windsor as a young carpenter and became a successful builder ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
30 - Bachelors’ Acre
Bachelors Acre is now officially a ‘Town Green’. There have been celebrations there to mark the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II in 2002 and ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
31 - Windsor Lady’ (The Queen and & her Corgis Statue)
The Windsor Lady (The Queen & her Corgis) is one of the four memorials to The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012. That jubilee was celebrated ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
32 - Jubilee Obelisk
The Jubilee Obelisk in Bachelors Acre commemorates the Golden Jubilee of George III in 1810. These celebrations formed the template for the celebration of future ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
33 - Duke of Edinburgh Award Offices
The office of The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award stands in Madeira Walk. This is the regional office for the charity in the South East of ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
34 - Western Cottage
Western Cottage, in Madeira Walk, was built during the reign of Queen Anne in 1702, on what was then Crown land, at the back of ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
35 - Mellor Walk
Mellor Walk leads from Bachelors Acre towards the library car park. It is named after the feisty Miss Doris Mellor, MBE (1894-1981), who saved Bachelors ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
36 - The Macdonald Windsor Hotel
The Macdonald Windsor Hotel is one of Windsor’s best hotels. In April 1823 number 19 High Street was taken over by John Caley. The Caley ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
37 - Peascod Street
Peascod Street is one of Windsor’s oldest streets and now pedestrianised during office hours. It was first mentioned as early as 1177 as the road ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
38 - Daniel Department Store
Daniel Department Store was opened at 120 Peascod Street in 1918; Charles Daniel, son of the founder gave it to his sister Mabel to run. ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
39 - Royal Windsoria Seal
The Royal Windsoria Seal is surrounded by the words, WYNDLESORIE + COMMUNE BURGENSIUM and can be found in several locations up and down Peascod Street ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
40 - King Edward Court Shopping Centre
King Edward Court Shopping Centre is a pedestrian area containing a plethora of shops and restaurants with an adjoining multi-storey car park, and was built ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
41 - 60 Spheres Jubilee Statue
60 Spheres Jubilee Statue is one of the four Diamond Jubilee memorials in Windsor. It was designed by Caroline Basra, a 15-year-old pupil from Windsor ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
42 - The Queen’s Train
The Queen’s Train is a full-size replica of a Dean 4-2-2 of the Achilles Class, no 3041 used as part of Madame Tussaud’s ‘Royalty and ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
43 - Information Centre (and Central Station).
Central Station. The building of the Great Western Central Station in 1849 meant that people could live in Windsor and travel to London to work, ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
44 - Footway Clock
The Footway Clock. Windsor’s Pavement Clock has been the subject of much interest and speculation in the town over the years. The original clock was ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
45 - Edward VII Gateway
King Edward VII Gateway is next to the pub, The King and Castle. The gateway leads in turn to an alleyway with steep steps down ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
46 - Old Garden on River Street
The Old Garden on River Street was formerly a mass of houses, shops, and inns lining the walls of the Castle. There were also homes ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
47 - River Street (and Car Park)
River Street forms part of Windsor’s historic past, dating back to the 13th century. At that time it was known as New Street. The name ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
48 - The Goswells
The Goswells is the low-lying area of Windsor next to the River Thames. Formerly in the parish of Clewer, it was named after goose fields. ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
49 - Fountain and Maze (Goswell Meadow)
The Jubilee Fountain and Maze stand in Goswell Meadow, on the land purchased for the National Trust in 1910. The fountain, designed by Mark Oliver, ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
50 - Alexandra Gardens
Alexandra Gardens is a fine park, bordering the Thames. The site was originally a meadow, belonging at one time to Middlesex Hospital. It was bought ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
51 - Shop Mobility
ShopMobility is just inside the coach park and provides manual and powered wheelchairs and scooters for use in Windsor for anyone who has difficulty walking. ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
52 - Hawker Hurricane
Hawker Hurricane, a replica of the fighter plane from the Second World War, commemorates its designer, Sir Sydney Camm (1893-1966), who had grown up in ...
Read More
-
Parks & Open Spaces
53 - The Thames Path National Trail
The Thames Path National Trail is a national trail footpath running 180 miles alongside the banks of the Thames. The source of the river is ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
54 - Eton College
Eton College was founded by Henry VI as a religious institution in 1440. It was originally a secular college of priests, clerks, choristers, and 25 ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
55 - The Dyson Clock
The Dyson Clock is mounted onto the wall of the toilet block in River Street car park. It was made by the Dyson Company, clock ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
56 - Windsor and Eton Bridge
Windsor Bridge. Windsor and Eton have been linked by wooden bridges since at least 1236. The current bridge was built in 1822 and opened in ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
57 - King George V Memorial
King George V Memorial commemorates the first monarch of the House of Windsor. The memorial fountain was executed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, R.A. It was ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
58 - Old Bank House
Old Bank House was formerly Windsor’s oldest bank, set up by Richard and John Ramsbottom when they bought the Isherwood brewery in 1780. Bank House ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
59 - The Prince Christian Victor Statue
The Prince Christian Victor Statue commemorates HH Prince Christian Victor of Schleswig-Holstein (1867- 1900), a grandson of Queen Victoria. He was the son of Princess ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
60 - The Theatre Royal
The Theatre Royal was built in 1910, replacing a previous theatre, built in 1815, but destroyed by fire in 1908. The façade of today’s theatre ...
Read More
-
Landmark & Views
61 - The Curfew Tower
The Curfew Tower stands within Windsor Castle at its most westerly point and is not open to the public. Originally called Clewer Tower and later ...
Read More
-
Places of Worship
62 - St George’s Chapel
St George’s Chapel is not visible from the walk at this point. It is open for services every day, and on most days (except Sundays) ...
Read More
-
Heritage & Monuments
63 - The Queen Victoria Statue
The Queen Victoria Statue was placed here in 1887 to mark her Golden Jubilee. The bronze statue was designed by Sir Edgar Boehm and stands ...
Read More

Contribute an Image