The Alderney Museum is on the High Street, between Connaught Square and Victoria Street. It is the only museum on the island and was opened in 1966. The museum is run and funded by the Alderney Society as one of its many projects. It consists of five gallery spaces – The Main Gallery, the Issue Room of 1946, The Natural History Room, The Maritime Gallery and the upstairs Temporary Exhibition Gallery.
The museum exhibits trace the history of the island from the Stone Age through to modern times. The museum acts the island’s archive and a public access museum with a broad collection of exhibits. There are rare island maps, plans and charts, lists of British Regiments stationed in Alderney since 1732, old court records, the 1940 Census of Alderney, and many rare artefacts.
The museum has won prestigious awards, most notably the 1999 Gulbenkian award for ‘most outstanding achievement with limited resources.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one