Appel Park was named after the Hon. John George Appel, MLA (1859-1929), a former Nerang Shire Councillor who went on to become State member for Albert in 1908 and retained his seat until his death at the age of 70. He was a solicitor who moved into dairying and pastoral pursuits for a short time before entering politics. As member for Albert, Appel acted as secretary for the Ministry of Mines and Public Works in 1908 and was then appointed Home Secretary in 1909, holding both positions until 1915. His most commended work during this time was in health legislation and in codifying the Local Authorities Act. Appel was a supporter of the Southport School and prizes for dux of the school are still given in his honour today. He also built a country home called ‘Sea Glint’ on the southern bank of the Nerang River opposite the Surfers Paradise Hotel.
See it on these walks
A medal was purchased for this point by: City of Gold Coast