The Sultan Abdul Samad building is a magnificent building with a substantial Big Ben style clock-tower and domed staircases at either end, stretching along one side of Merdeka Square. It used to house the offices of the British colonial administration at which time it was called Government Offices but renamed after Sultan Abdul Samad (1804-98) in 1974. He was the 4th Sultan of Selangor, reigning from 1857 to 1898, during which time Kuala Lumpur was established. It was designed by A.C. Norman (1858-1924), in classical renaissance style, and then reworked by Norman’s assistant, R.A.J. Bidwell (1869-1918), in Indo-Saracenic style. The façade stretches 137.2 metres, making it Malaysia’s largest building. It was built between 1894 and 1897, made of over 4 million bricks. The clock chimed for the first time for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee parade in 1897.
Today the building houses the Ministry of Communications and Multimedia and the Ministry of Tourism and Culture.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one