The Botanical Gardens is part of the National Parks, Rivers and Beaches Authority, charged with looking after the islands beautiful ecosystems. The gardens plays an important role in propagating and preserving biodiversity.Occupying 20 acres, the Gardens were created in 1765 by General Robert Melville, governor of the British Caribbean islands, as a plant breeding centre and ‘to provide medicinal plants for the military and improve the life and economy of the colony’. Three acres were set aside for the established of a Government House. The Botanical Gardens is the oldest of its kind in the western hemisphere, and celebrated its 240th anniversary in 2005. On February 6th 2012 preparations for the restoration of the site were unveiled as part of the celebration of its 250th anniversary in 2015.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one