Cape Town City Hall is a large Edwardian building built on the Grand Parade to the west of the castle, in the city centre in 1905. It is made from honey-coloured oolitic limestone imported from Bath, England. It was created following a public competition, won by Messrs Harry Austin Reid and Frederick George Green, who then worked alongside contractors Messrs T. Howard and F. G. Scott. The Organ was built by Messrs Norman and Beard of London and Norwich, the specifications were drawn up by Sir George Martin (1844-1916), organist of St Paul’s Cathedral in London. Nelson Mandela (1918-2013) gave his first public speech from the balcony of Cape Town City Hall on 11 February 1990, just hours after his release from jail. From this spot now stands his statue (unveiled in 2018) commemorating that historic event. Between 1982 and 2008 the hall served as a library, but this was moved to the adjacent Old Drill Hall. Now it is a venue for creative and cultural events such as concerts and art exhibitions.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one