The Christ Church (or Christuskirche) is a historic landmark and Lutheran church belonging to the German-speaking Evangelical Lutheran Church. It was designed by architect Gottlieb Redecker (1871-1945). The church was built following the wars between the Germans and the Khoikhoi, Herero, and Owambo. The foundation stone was laid on 11 August 1907. Christ Church was constructed from quartz sandstone mined from the vicinity of Avis Dam. It has a mixture of neo-Romanesque, Art Nouveau and Gothic revival influences. Its spire is 79 feet high. The portico was made from Carrara marble imported from Italy. The clock and part of the roof were shipped from Germany, as were the three bronze bells cast by Franz Schilling. They bear the inscriptions ‘Ehre sei Gott in der Höhe’ (Glory to God in the highest), ‘Friede auf Erden’ (Peace on earth), and ‘Den Menschen ein Wohlgefallen’ (Goodwill towards men). The colourful stained lead glass windows in the sanctuary were a gift from Emperor Wilhelm II (1859-1941).
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one