Clarence Battery was a substantial construction built with thick walls and heavy defences in 1780 as a fortified lookout post for Fort George. It was originally known as ‘Terres Point Battery’ but was renamed Clarence Battery in 1805 in honour of the Duke of Clarence (1765-1837) (later William IV), third son of George III. It served as the island’s principal fort during the French Revolution and during the Second World War, was used as the German Luftwaffe’s early warning system. The battery had a guard room, gun pivots, ammunition lockers, shell stories and artillery stores, some of which remains despite alterations made by the Germans.
It is well preserved.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one