Fiji Museum is located in the heart of Suva’s botanical gardens, Thurston Gardens, on Cakobau Road. The museum holds a remarkable collection, which includes archaeological material dating back 3,700 years and cultural objects representing both Fiji’s indigenous inhabitants and the other communities that have settled in the island group over the past 200 years. The idea for such a museum was first advanced in 1904, and finally realised in 1929. This museum was opened in 1955 by the Governor, Sir Ronald Garvey, KCMG, KCVO (1903-91), with extensions added in 1972 and 1978. The museum has lately achieved a reputation as a research institution, beyond being just the home for cultural items.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one