The Forrest Centre was designed by renowned architects Robert Cann & Associates is located at 221 St George’s Terrace. It was opened in 1986. Between the two office towers of the Forrest Centre is the historic Rigby’s Tavern & Bistro centre, remodelled after Alexander Forrest House.
Alexander Forrest (1849-1901) was a great explorer, surveyor, politician and investor. He worked at his father’s mill until 1868 when he advertised himself as a surveyor. In 1870 he served as a second-in-command for his first transcontinental expedition along the edge of the Great Australian Bight. On 1st January 1871, he was appointed to the surveyor department as surveyor-in-charge of Albany. In 1887, with his brother Matthew, Alexander began a 6-month exploration which resulted in the discovery and naming of the Kimberley district, the Margaret and Ord Rivers and the King Leopold Ranges. Alexander became the first MP for Kimberley and kept that position until his death. He was the Mayor of Perth from 1892 to 1900. He supported the running of the first Perth Cup horse race in 1887. He was awarded a CMG by the Duke of York in 1901, shortly before his death at the age of 51.