The Citadel of Port Louis is better known as Fort Adelaide, named after Queen Adelaide (1792-1849), the wife of William IV. It is a fortification that was built from 1834 to 1840 on a hill facing the harbour. The ease with which the British captured Mauritius in 1810 led the invaders to strengthen the island’s defences. The British rapidly built several forts, including Fort George, Fort Adelaide, Fort William, and Fort Victoria. Only Fort Adelaide remains today.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one