Fort Gate on Fort Canning Hill is a significant historical site, and all that remains of an old fort which was demolished in 1907. Only the fort gate and two nine-pound cannons remain. The fort was constructed in the 1860s for the British. It was named Fort Canning after Viscount (later Earl) Canning, KG (1812-62), Governor-General and later first Viceroy of India from 1856 to 1862. It was built to protect Singapore from sea attacks and to oversee the security of the town, and it served as a place of refuge for Europeans in Singapore in the event of social disturbances, such as the Indian Mutiny in 1857. However, Fort Canning never saw battle and was decommissioned in 1907.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one