Fort Regent Leisure Centre was opened in Fort Regent in 1971. The Fort is a 19th. century fortification, on Mont de la Ville (Town Hill), with curtain walls, ditches, a glacis, redoubts, bastions, and redans (or demi-bastions). There used to be a parade ground in the centre levelled out in 1785, but this has been built over.
Construction of the fortress as it is today on Town Hill began on 7 November 1806, during the Napoleonic Wars, with the laying of a foundation stone by George Don (1756-1832), Lieutenant Governor of Jersey. The fort was built using a local workforce and men from the Royal Engineers, with an average of 800 men working at any given time. This enabled the massive project to be completed by 1814. It named Fort Regent in honour of the Prince Regent (later George IV), who had assumed the duties of his ill father.
The last British force to garrison Fort Regent was the Royal Militia of the Island of Jersey, who left the Fort on 20 June 1940 and served in the UK as part of The Hampshire Regiment. The militia reformed as the Jersey Field Squadron in 1987 and are located in the Engineers Barracks at La Collette.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one