Fort Saint Elmo was built in 1552 as a star fort, guarding the entrance to the Grand Harbour. In 1565 it withstood Turkish attacks during the Great Siege for 28 days, but eventually fell on 23rd June to continued bombardment by the Turks. The following year, the ruined fort was rebuilt. It was later attacked by the Italians and Germans in the Second World War, and sustained damage during the Italian seaborne attack of 26th July 1941. It has recently been restored.Since 1975, it has contained the National War Museum, which has recently been re-opened. The museum documents the story of Malta’s conflicts from the Bronze Age, to the Great Siege of 1565, as well as the struggle between 1940 and 1943. The George Cross bestowed on the island by King George VI is displayed here, with the King’s citation.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one