After the take-over of the island by the English in 1713, Roman Catholics were forbidden by law to worship in public. They also were prohibited from civil or military office unless they took and subscribed to certain oaths and declarations. In 1829, an act was passed removing all such restrictions and there was a revival of Roman Catholicism. The steady influx of Portuguese migrants from the island of Madeira from 1835 onwards strengthened the growth of the Roman Catholic community. A church was built in or about 1856; it was called the Church of the Immaculate Conception. In 1927, it was demolished and replaced by a modern edifice on the same site on East Square Street.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one