Independence Memorial Hall was built on the instructions of the Prime Minister as a national monument in 1948 to commemorate Sri Lanka’s independence from British rule. Its design followed that of the Audience Hall (Magul Maduwa) in Kandy. The site is Cinnamon Gardens where the formal ceremony of Independence took place, presided over by George VI’s brother, HRH The Duke of Gloucester (1900-74).
The Memorial Hall is rectangular in shape and the building rests on a colonnade of piers with an open centre. The column and pillars are decorated with traditional Sri Lankan designs and statues of lions are placed around the building. Overall, it is a simple monument displaying a detailed description of the freedom struggle in the form of art.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one