The Jamaica National Heritage Trust is based at 78 Duke Street. It is a brick and timber house, made from Flemish bonded brick, stone and timber. It was originally called Hibbert House, after Thomas Hibbert (1710-80), an English merchant who became a prominent figure in colonial Jamaica. In 1755 it was his home. In 1872, when the capital moved from Spanish Town to Kingston, the house was bought by the Government and was used as the Offices of the Colonial Secretary until 1960. Since 1983 it has been the headquarters of Jamaica National Heritage Trust.
It is responsible for the promotion, preservation, and development of Jamaica’s material cultural heritage. The organisation maintains the list of National Heritage Sites in Jamaica. There are 23 categories of Heritage sites, from archeology, districts, parks and gardens to schools and many more, even sugar works and Jamaican heroes. It is chartered by The Jamaica National Heritage Trust Act, 1985 and fulfils the mission of inspiring national pride through its work. One of its aims is to record precious objects or works of art for preservation and to identify animal or botanical life that needs to be protected.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one