Named after the stairs used by King Edward III to access his 14th century manor house from the river Thames, the Garden was first proposed by London County Council in 1947 as part of a plan to reconstruct the area post World War II before finally opening in 1982. It is a site of great ecological importance, with a wildflower meadow and butterfly border built in to encourage invertebrates and pollinators to the area. Several hundred mature trees such as oak, ash and cherry live in the garden. Bat boxes have also been installed to accommodate the local bat species, including the rare Nathusiuspipistrelle. The garden has been named a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation because of the healthy wildlife population living here. The Jubilee Greenway follows the river through the space with unrivalled views towards Tower Bridge, St Paul’s and the Shard. A Jubilee Stone was unveiled here by Queen Elizabeth II to commemorate her Silver Jubilee in 1977. After restoration works took place in the Park during 2002, a new memorial stone was unveiled by the Earl and Countess of Wessex in celebration of Her Majesty’s Golden Jubilee with the Earl later returning in 2012 to unveil a new Diamond Jubilee Inscription. In recognition of the gardens commitment to providing a full access recreational facility for the local community, in 2012 King’s Stairs Garden was awarded Village Green status and became a Queen Elizabeth II Field.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one