The statue of George Eden, 1st Earl of Auckland (1784-1849) was moved here from Calcutta in 1969, he having been Governor-General of India from 1835 to 1842. In 1880 Governor Hobson named this city Auckland after him, having received command of HMS Rattlesnake when Lord Auckland was First Lord of the Admiralty in 1834.
The statue, sculpted by Henry Weekes (1807-77), was originally placed in Calcutta in 1848, and it was then given to Auckland by the Government of West Bengal. It now stands beside the Civic Building. There is no evidence that Lord Auckland ever visited New Zealand.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one