The National Heroes Park was once one of Kingston’s most popular spots. For 101 years the land was the centre for horse racing in Jamaica. It was also the site for other sporting activities such as cricket and cycle racing. Being a place where people naturally gathered, the area was also the venue for travelling circuses that visited the island from time to time. In 1818, the Kingston Council purchased the property for £985 and 10 shillings. Back then it was part of a property called Montgomery Pen. It was later known as the Kingston Racecourse because of its dominant activity and remained so until 1953 when horse racing was transferred to Knutsford Park. The site was officially renamed the National Heroes Park in 1973 and is now a permanent place for honouring Jamaica’s heroes whose monuments are erected in an area known as the Shrine.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one