Osu Castle (also known as Fort Christiansborg or the Castle) is located on the coast of the Gulf of Guinea in Africa. A substantial fort was built by Denmark-Norway in the 1660s, the fort changed ownership between Denmark-Norway, Portugal, the Akwamu, Britain, and finally post-Independence Ghana. Under Denmark–Norway control it was the capital of the Danish Gold Coast and held and dispatched enslaved people overseas. In 1902, Osu Castle became the seat of government in Ghana, but this has now moved to Golden Jubilee House (formerly The Flagstaff House).
Many international dignitaries have visited the castle, including U.S. Presidents Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, and German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder. Additional rooms were built to accommodate Queen Elizabeth II’s state visit in 1961, one year after Ghana became a republic.
The present castle is made up of various extensions to the original and is thus in an unorthodox shape. It has many facilities for the use of employees, including a clinic, café, shopping centre and a post office. It also still accommodates a permanent garrison. The extensive gardens feature a wide variety of plants, both local and imported.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one