The Parliament House was constructed between 1902 and 1904 to meet the requirements of the newly formed Federation of States which increased the size of both Houses of Parliament. The initial building designs were drawn from an Australia-wide design competition but were considered too expensive and palatial and government-commissioned JH Grainger, Chief Architect of the then Public Works Department, to prepare new scaled-down plans for the building. It was intended that Parliament House be east-facing in line with St George’s Terrace, reinforcing the connection between Parliament and the people. Unfortunately, there were insufficient funds to complete the building and, while it looked impressive from Harvest Terrace, viewed from the east it was unfinished and remained so for half a century. Uncertain economic times, influenced by the 1930s Depression and two World Wars, delayed the completion of the building until 1964 when it is said that Parliament got a front door. The staged construction of the building reflects two architectural styles, the grander Federation Academic Classical of the early 1900s and more classical lines and columns of the 1960s Stripped Classical style. Both periods of construction reflect a central focus on the incorporation of Western Australian stone and timbers.
Parliament in Western Australia is a bicameral legislature.
Parliament House offers a range of tours and educational opportunities for the public and students. Visit our website at www.parliament.wa.gov.au
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one