The President resides in the Presidential Palace, which was formerly Government House, certainly the most prominent building in Fiji. The first Government House consisted of two small wood-frame structures, built-in 1882 when Suva became the capital. That building was burnt to the ground after being struck by lightning in 1921, Lady Rodwell, wife of the then Governor, losing all her jewellery and many irreplaceable books being lost. The new building, a fine Georgian mansion, was built between 1926 and 1928, the first Governor to occupy it being Sir Eyre Huston, KCMG (1864-1936).
Between 1970 and 1987 it was the residence of the Governor-General, after which it became the residence of the President. The house is not open to the public, but there is changing of the guard during the first week of each month, performed by members of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces.
Here the President hosts ceremonial functions for dignitaries and VVIP, guests of the State.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one