The Our Lady of the Assumption Cathedral or simply Banjul Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic church, located on Hagan Street, on the corner of Picton Street, the main street of the city. It is the slightly larger of the two cathedrals in the city (the other belonging to the Anglican Church). It was built in the colonial era between 1913 and 1916 while Gambia was a British colony.
The status of the building has changed over time. In 1951 it was chosen to host the apostolic prefecture and then in 1957 it became a cathedral when the then Bathurst became diocese. Since then the cathedral has been the seat of the Diocese of Banjul.
On his journey through Senegal, Gambia and Guinea, Pope John Paul II visited the Cathedral on 23 February 1992.