The Royal Court has existed on its present site on St James Street in St Peter Port since the early 1800s. It was built in 1799 and the first sitting was held here in 1803. The court caters for a very wide range of activity, including criminal and civil court proceedings, meetings of Guernsey’s parliament, civic receptions and ceremonial occasions, marriage ceremonies, archiving and research and the registration of births, deaths, marriages and property conveyances.
The Courts of Guernsey are responsible for the administration of justice in the Bailiwick of Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands. They apply the law of the Island, which is a mixture of customary law dating back as far as the 10th century and legislation passed by the legislature, the States of Deliberation.
The principal court is the Royal Court and exercises both civil and criminal jurisdiction.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one