The Royal Selangor Club is a social club in Merdeka Square, founded by the British in 1884. It was created as a meeting place for the educated and high ranking members of British colonial society, only later admitting senior Malaysian civil servants, judges, lawyers and others. The first club building was at the northeastern corner. This was replaced in 1890 by a two-storey building, on the west side, by A.C. Norman (1858-1924), a British architect who came to Selangor in 1883, and this in turn by a mock Tudor building by Brigadier-General Arthur Hubback (1871-1948) in 1910, with additional wings to the main building. The club was nicknamed ‘The Spotted Dog’.
It was badly damaged by a fire in 1970 but rebuilt in 1978 with a new wing in the same mock Tudor style as the main building. The Sultan of Selangor gave the club royal status in 1984.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one