St Andrew’s Cathedral is an Anglican church on the corner of George Street and Bathurst Street, and a key element in the townscape of Sydney, described by Joan Kerr (1938-2004), the Australian preservationist, as ‘a perfect example of the colonial desire to reproduce England in Australia in the mid 19th century.’ Its first foundation stone was laid in 1819 but work ceased in 1820. Eventually, it was built between 1837 and 1868, when it was consecrated. It is the oldest cathedral in Australia. It was designed by Edmund Blacket (1817-83) on foundations laid by James Hume (1798-1868). It is a fine example of Gothic revival architecture.
The cathedral was extended with the addition of the Chapter House in 1886. It underwent major conservation and restoration work over many years. Items of interest in the church are the Foundation Plaques, the organ which was originally built in 1866, the lectern (the eagle being a symbol of St John), the font, a gift received in 1868, and the tiles and marble floors, most of which are original and were laid between 1862 to 1868.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one