St James Cathedral is the oldest Anglican church in Mauritius. It has a peaceful, wood-panelled interior with plaques commemorating distinguished local residents. In 1828, Reverend Alexander Denny was appointed Senior Civil Chaplain (1828-1854). One of his first tasks was to repair the roof of the powder magazine and to erect an octagonal spire to the building to give it the appearance of a church. On 25 December 1831, the restored church was opened for divine service. In 1846, as the church was too small to accommodate the increasing congregation of soldiers, English civilians, and others, two wings were added. In 1850 the grounds were fenced, the iron railings and gates being completed in 1851.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one