The Church of St John the Evangelist was consecrated in 1854. It was built on the site of an earlier church dating from 1769. The foundation stone of the present building was laid on 21 October 1852 by Prince Albert. It originally had a spire, until 1954. It is suggested that the spire was too heavy for the Church, which was built essentially on marsh with insufficient foundations for the additional weight. Due to the cost of upkeep and falling church attendance, the church wasclosed for public worship in 1981 and the building was offered for alternative use. Eton College came forward with a proposal that resulted in the building we see today: the nave completely modified to provide a sanatorium for the school, along with flats for masters and other College employees. The tower was also converted to create accommodation. The original Sanctuary and Chancel have been divided horizontally. On the ground floor is the Medical Centre for the town and the first floor is the present church. This was re-dedicated for worship in 1991 by the Bishop of Buckingham, the Rt Revd Simon Burrows. Today there are mid-week communions and services on Sundays. In the Eton War Memorial Garden those men of Eton who died in the Second World War are commemorated.
See it on these walks
A medal was purchased for this point by: Eton Community Association