Te Tō Point Fisher is on the corner of Victoria Park. This was another of the many satellite fishing stations dotted along the inner Waitemata Harbour, a headland pa called Te Tō (‘To haul up a waka’) once occupying the eastern headland of Freeman’s Bay above Beaumont Street.
Te Tō Te Tō and its strategic importance are still recited in speeches by Māori on marae in the Auckland today. The first European name of the point was Point Fisher – after Francis Fisher, Acting Attorney General and Land Commissioner in 1841. It was later known as Acheron Point, after H.M.S. Acheron, a survey vessel which charted Auckland’s Waitemata coastline between 1848 and 1851.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one