The Ivi Triangle features an old ivi (Tahitian nut) tree. It is a popular resting place and as an intersection, the symbolic centre of Suva. A whitewashed marker commemorates the dates of the first missionaries arriving in Fiji, the establishment of the capital and the first public land sales in the country (though the historical information on it has been disputed). Apparently, Wesleyan missionaries, David Cross and William Cargill, arrived on 12 October 1835 (not 14 October). Fiji did become a crown colony on 10 October 1874. Suva was proclaimed the capital in 1877, not 1882. Public land sales took place under a different Ivi tree. Someone did try to set fire to the tree in 2012, and the tree was damaged by Cyclone Winston.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one