Ussher Fort was built by the Dutch in 1649 as Fort Crèvecœur. It was one of three forts that Europeans built in the region during the middle of the 17th century. Fort Crèvecœur was part of the Dutch Gold Coast. The Anglo-Dutch Gold Coast Treaty of 1867 defined areas of influence on the Gold Coast and transferred it to the British in 1868. Negotiations to build a Dutch fort on the site began in 1610 but Fort Crèvecœur was not built until 1642. It began as a simple factory and was enlarged in 1649 by the Dutch West India Company. It was named after Fort Crèvecœur in ‘s-Hertogenbosch in the Dutch Republic which had played a crucial role in the Siege of ‘s-Hertogenbosch. One of the Dutch representatives, Henry Caerlof (1621-1684), developed good relations with the Dey of Fetu, who gave Caerlof permission to build Osu Castle in 1652 for the Swedish Africa company.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one