Windsor Bridge. Windsor and Eton have been linked by wooden bridges since at least 1236. The current bridge was built in 1822 and opened in 1824. It crosses the Thames and links Windsor to Eton. It is 200 feet long and 20 feet wide, supported by three arches of cast iron, the middle one spanning 55 feet, all resting on piers of granite. At one time it was a toll bridge, meaning that tolls had to be paid by vehicles passing over it and boats passing under it, but these tolls were abolished in 1898. Originally open to carriages and cars, it has been a pedestrian bridge since 1970 when serious structural faults were discovered. A blue plaque indicates that it was built by Charles Hollis, the architect of St John the Baptist Parish Church. Lower down the Thames, there are two other bridges – Victoria Bridge, a one-arch bridge linking Windsor with Datchet, and Albert Bridge, linking Datchet to Old Windsor.
A medal was purchased for this point by: Eton Community Association