Holy Trinity & Garrison Church is one of England’s finest garrison churches. It was founded by Queen Victoria with a gift of 200 guineas, due to her concern for the spiritual welfare of her troops, garrisoned at Combermere and Victoria Barracks. They were spending too much time in ale houses and with ladies of the night. She also wanted the church to serve the poor who lived in the slums by the river (now Ward Royal and King Edward Court). Donations came from her mother, The Duchess of Kent, other members of the Royal Family, Eton College, St George’s Chapel and others.
James Bedborough donated the land, but he also stipulated that he should build it. A new parish of ‘Clewer Within’ was created and the new church originally stood in the middle of a field. It was designed by Edward Blore (1787-1879) who also built Buckingham Palace.
Prince Albert laid the foundation stone on 4 April 1842. The church was consecrated on 25 July 1844 with military bands playing.
Prince Harry worshipped here with his regiment when based at Combermere Barracks.
The church is not regularly open to the public, but can be visited by arrangement.
Images
Medal Sponsor
A medal was purchased for this point by: GSK

Contribute an Image