The Old Garden on River Street was formerly a mass of houses, shops, and inns lining the walls of the Castle. There were also homes in the castle ditch. Severe overcrowding led to unsanitary, slum-like conditions. Eventually the Windsor Castle Town Approaches Act was passed In 1848, during the reign of Queen Victoria.This cleared the ‘castle ditch’ properties. Today the ‘castle ditch’ has reverted to green grass. It now has a low wall, since the higher wall that used to keep it private was removed in the early 1960s.
Help us crowdsource images for this point of interest. Contribute below.
See it on these walks
We don't have any images for this location yet, help us by adding one